Stand-Up Comedy 101
Comedy Class Syllabus:
- Learn the basics of stand-up comedy in a structured class setting
- Mold topics into an original routine through a weekly on-stage performance workshop
- Translate your ideas into a crafted act through proper joke structure and editing techniques
- Experiment with elements of improv and acting to create a unique and organic performance
- Hone your joke-crafting skills with a focus on writing content
Comedy Classes Include:
- Six two-hour-long comedy class sessions at Helium Comedy Club, Wednesdays from 6PM to 8PM
- A Graduation Showcase at Helium at 8PM on the Wednesday immediately following the final class session (schedule permitting) in which participants perform for an audience of friends and family in a supportive, positive, and controlled environment
Upcoming Class Dates
- 2/21, 3/7, 3/14, 3/21, 3/28, 4/4, 4/11
- NO CLASS SESSION ON 2/28
About the Instructor:
Jeremy Essig is a comedian, journalist, musician and fictional character killed by zombies in Jonathan Maberry’s novel Fall of Night.
As a comedian, Essig’s style was described as “intelligent cynicism” by Indianapolis’ Nuvo magazine. He was dubbed a “comic to watch” both by St. Louis Magazine and The Riverfront Times and his three albums have received play on satellite radio. He has also appeared multiple times on NPR, over twenty times on the nationally syndicated Bob and Tom Show, and featured on the podcast Doug Loves Movies. Essig also created the game show Loser. – A Live Action Shame Show which toured nationally. On February 3, 2017 his fourth comedy album “Whatever” was released by On Tour Records. Multiple tracks from the album have received extensive play on Sirius/XM radio.
Jeremy teaches introductory stand-up comedy classes at Helium Comedy Club.